Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sally Hansen Gem Crush: Sort of like Liquid Sand

With textured nail polish being the new "thing" recently, I decided to write a bit about one that I'd tried recently.  I'm not sure if it's supposed to be textured, but after several coats, that's the way it ends up.  Unfortunately I never got pictures of it with topcoat, to see if it smoothed out, but one coat over a solid base was smooth enough that I think it would.  Three or four coats was getting to be more than most topcoats could handle.

First up, here's a picture of one coat of Be-Jeweled, a lilac microglitter with larger pink holo hexes, over Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Lively Lilac.  I think as toppers, these would work best with a color similar to the main color of the glitter, as the microshimmer is too small to really stand out over a contrasting polish.


Now here's four coats of Be-Jeweled, still over Lively Lilac, although by this point it would be pretty much opaque by itself.  It's still the same color as it was in the picture above, but for some reason my camera kept trying to make it more periwinkle.

I thought that I wasn't going to like it very much, and planned on just swatching it to take pictures, then removing it and doing something else, but I liked it so much I left it on for almost 4 days.  Okay so 3 of those days I was spending the weekend at the marine station I studied at last summer, but still....


I also have Gem Crush in Lady Luck, which is a magenta microglitter with large silver holo hexes.  Swatching it on paper, it also seemed to dry to a textured finish in 3-4 coats, but I was running low on acetone and didn't want to put it on all my nails, then have to take it off.

I've seen the Gem Crush line at most drugstores that carry Sally Hansen, including Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Walmart.  I live in the middle of nowhere, so there are probably more places you can find it, too.  They're usually in the $5-6 range, though there are often BOGO50% sales on Sally Hansen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...